Home YSF » YSF Applications
The YSF application period is now closed. The information below is for reference only.
Key dates for the 19th FEBS YSF
YSF/Congress registration and abstract submission opening: November 2018
YSF application deadline: January 20, 2019
Notifications of YSF award winners: March 4, 2019
19th FEBS YSF: July 3−6, 2019
44th FEBS Congress: July 6−11, 2019
Support from FEBS
FEBS will provide financial support for participation in the YSF and the ensuing Congress to those selected to take part in the YSF, via YSF grants. YSF grants in 2019 can only be used to support participation in the 19th YSF and 44th FEBS Congress, and those selected must attend both the YSF and the Congress. Grants will cover registration and accommodation in shared rooms (for both events) and up to 80% of the travel costs to Krakow. Awards will only be made to support travel from the applicant’s current country of residence in the FEBS area to Krakow. The amount awarded will be based on the distance travelled and the most affordable options.
Eligibility criteria for the 19th FEBS YSF
PhD students and postdoctoral fellows are welcome to submit applications if they fulfil all of the following criteria. Applicants should:
* be up to 35 years of age, except if studies were started later, or were delayed by maternity leave (18 months per child), prolonged illness or other personal reasons
* be registered as a PhD student at an institute of higher learning in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society OR be a postdoctoral scientist within five years of having completed a PhD thesis, working in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society
* submit a single abstract to the 19th YSF and 44th FEBS Congress as first author. Both events should be attended.
* be a member of a FEBS Constituent Society
* not have received a grant from FEBS to attend a previous YSF, nor a FEBS Congress bursary to attend the previous year’s FEBS Congress (Prague, 2018), nor a FEBS YTF award for a 2019 FEBS Advanced Course.
Please note that the number of meeting travel awards you have previously received from FEBS (FEBS Congress Bursary, FEBS YSF grant, and FEBS YTF award for FEBS Advanced Course) may also be taken into consideration in your selection.
How to apply
YSF applications are made through the Congress website’s registration and abstract submission system.
1. Select the YSF Applicant option, and complete a registration order valued at 0 Euros by entering your details on the registration form and selecting the YSF waiver option
2. Submit an abstract as first author to one of the Congress abstract topics (in the 'Posters' track)
3. Upload the following supporting documents in a single pdf file during registration:
* Proof of Status: PhD student or post-doctoral scientist within 5 years of receiving a PhD
* Proof of current FEBS Constituent Society membership (scanned copy of current membership certificate/letter from your FEBS Constituent Society)
* Curriculum Vitae, prepared using the FEBS Congress 2019 CV template
* Letter of Motivation, describing reasons why you would benefit from attending the FEBS YSF and the FEBS Congress, in not more than 300 words
* Letter of Recommendation, preferably from your supervisor, not exceeding 300 words
* Proof of Age: a scanned copy of ID showing date of birth (national ID card or passport). Over 35s with special circumstances should upload additional supporting documents.
All abstracts must contain original work that has not been published or presented identically on previous occasions; further guidelines are on the Call for Abstracts page. Abstracts submitted by YSF Applicants and accepted for the YSF cannot be edited after the YSF application deadline.
Until the announcement of YSF evaluation results, YSF applicants' registration/participant status will be held as pending.
N.B. Unsuccessful YSF applicants will be able to switch participant types in the Congress registration system after outcome notifications, and also consider applying for a Congress bursary ahead of the March 7, 2019 bursary application deadline. The same supporting documents can be used for the bursary application.
Application and abstract assessments
Applications to the 19th YSF will be assessed by the 19th YSF Organizing Committee and Chair of the FEBS Working Group on the Careers of Young Scientists. All successful applicants will present their work at the YSF as posters and 1-min talks. In addition, all abstracts of successful applicants will be considered for possible oral presentations of 10–15 min during the YSF program. Outcomes on presentation options are expected to be notified shortly after the time of announcement of selected YSF award winners.
Abstracts from successful YSF applicants are also included in the ensuing FEBS Congress. If you are interested in oral presentation opportunities at the Congress, please answer 'yes' to a question on this in the abstract submission system. Assessment for this will be carried out by the International Scientific Committee of the Congress and is independent of selection categories at the YSF.