Home Sponsorship/Exhibition » Other Events
Workshop on data collection and structure solving in macromolecular X-ray diffraction.
Application deadline: 7th June 2019
It is our pleasure to invite you to 5-day long workshop on protein crystallography organized by Jerzy Haber Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry PAS and Faculty of Chemistry, Jagiellonian University, that will take place on 12-16 July 2019 in Kraków. The workshop, which will consist of lectures and hands-on sessions, is dedicated to PhD and undergraduate students as well as research staff interested in protein X-ray diffraction methods. During a poster session the attendees will have a chance to present and discuss their own results. Number of places is limited to 40 in total.
The lecture and hands-on topics included:
- Crystallographic Fundamentals
- Preparation of protein sample for crystallization experiments (Expression, Purification and Validation)
- Cryo-crystallography: preparation of crystals for data collection at cryogenic temperatures
- Handling of crystals
- X-ray sources, synchrotrons, detectors
- Radiation damage
- Indexing, integration and data reduction
- Diffraction data quality
- SAD/MAD/MR data collection (remote data collection in Argonne)
- Data processing using XDS and XDSAPP
- Molecular replacement
- Isomorphous replacement and anomalous signal in solving the phase problem
- Data processing with HKL
- Data processing using XDS and XDSAPP
- MR and SAD phasing and model building with HKL3000
- Electron density map interpretation and model building
- Structure refinement and validation
- Structure refinement with Refmac / Coot
- Macromolecular refinement at high resolution
- Difficult structures - how to solve and refine
- Interpretation of structural data
- Capabilities of Structural Biology Core Facility at MCB Jagiellonian University in Kraków
- Large Molecular complex - at the interface between X-ray and Cryo-EM
- Protein crystallography in drug development
- Impact of Reproducibility and Artificial Intelligence on Structure Based Drug Discovery
- Share your story – presenting structural data on the Web
The lecturers and tutors (in alphabetical order):
- Maksymilian Chruszcz, University of South Carolina
- Grzegorz Dubin, Jagiellonian University, Kraków
- Mirosław Gilski, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
- Sebastian Glatt, Małopolska Center of Biotechnology UJ, Kraków
- Przemysław Grudnik, Małopolska Center of Biotechnology UJ, Kraków
- Mariusz Jaskólski, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
- Katarzyna Kurpiewska, Jagiellonian University, Kraków
- Krzysztof Lewiński, Jagiellonian University, Kraków
- Wladek Minor, University of Virginia
- Ewa Niedziałkowska, University of Virginia
- Przemyslaw Porebski, University of Virginia
- Ivan Shabalin, University of Virginia
- Manfred Weiss, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin
- Piotr Wilk, Małopolska Center of Biotechnology UJ, Kraków
For PhD candidates from outside Poland there are stipends available from the PROM programme to cover fee, travel and stay costs. More information on this is available here.
THE PROM PROGRAMME INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP EXCHANGE OF PHD CANDIDATES AND ACADEMIC STAFF
Registration form is available here.
All correspondence concerning the workshop shall be sent to: prot.xrd(at)ikifp.edu.pl
Workshop is sponsored by Polish Academy of Sciences
Workshop is sponsored by: Polish Academy of Sciences, Lab Empire, Protomnis, Dectris
Excellence in Learning and Teaching Biochemistry
A FEBS Education Meeting
Sapienza University of Rome
September 16-17, 2019
It is our pleasure and honor to announce the International Workshop “Excellence in Learning and Teaching Biochemistry” dedicated to teachers and students who “love to learn and help others learn” Biochemistry (to paraphrase an enchanting statement of Judith Voet). Do join us for this lively and thought-provoking workshop which is scheduled on September 16-17, 2019 inside the Campus of Sapienza University of Rome.
The Workshop is held under the auspices of FEBS, SIB (Italian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), IUBMB, the Department of Biochemical Sciences “A. Rossi Fanelli” of Sapienza and the PhD Course in Biochemistry, in collaboration with the Department of Biomedical and Neuromotor Sciences of the University of Bologna, and with the contribution of our sponsor Zanichelli Editore S.p.A.
All sessions will be dedicated to modern and prominent teaching strategies to meet the needs of both students and teachers. A group of leading academic scientists will share their experiences and discuss the most recent trends as well as practical challenges encountered and solutions adopted in the field of undergraduate education in Biochemistry.
Your presence is highly appreciated to help shape the Workshop through conversations among participants.
We are looking forward to meeting you in Rome.
Please visit: www.sites.google.com/uniroma1.it/eltbiochemistry2019
Maria Luisa Genova & Francesco Malatesta
Scientific and Organizing Committee